2019 Calendar of Events:
- Eagle Point WMA Bird Walk! Saturday June 8th, 2019 from 8am to 10:00. Free and no need to pre-register!
Join the Friends of Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge Inc. along with the Memphremagog Watershed Association for a morning of birding and exploration at the Eagle Point Unit.Eagle Point, a 420 acre tract of property on the shore of Lake Memphremagog near the town of Newport, became part of the Missisquoi NWR in 2010. The Eagle Point property consists of a mix of upland and wetland habitats including northern hardwood forest, hemlock seepage forest, managed grassland, and a diverse wetland complex formed around Hall’s Creek.Note: there are no facilities on the property.This walk will be led by Ken Copenhaver and Julie Filiberti.
- Cyanobacteria Monitoring Training, Monday June 10th, 4:00-6:00pm, North Country Career Center, Newport. Room 380. Join us for a presentation from Angela Shambaugh with the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation and in partnership with the Vermont Department of Health to learn how to identify and report the presence of harmful cyanobacteria blooms. Training is free, but please RSVP to Kendall Lambert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 802-487-0160.
- MWA Annual Meeting, The Science and Monitoring of PFAS/PFOA, Friday June 21st, 7:00-9:00pm. Join us for a panel discussion with local and regional experts at the Gateway Center in Newport. Light refreshments will be served. The MWA Business meeting will be before the panel discussion, starting at 5:30. Click Here for the poster!
- Eagle Point Wetland Paddle, June 29th, 9am. (June 30th rain date). Join us as Paul Hamelin from Vermont Fish and Wildlife takes us on a journey through the wetlands at Eagle Point. Paul will provide some information on the history of the property, highlight the wildlife and plants found there, and discuss the importance of wetlands and grasslands for wildlife habitat. The trip will last about 2 to 2 ½ hours. Dress appropriately for the weather, and remember to bring water, insect repellent, snacks or other items needed for your comfort outdoors. Bring your own canoe or kayak!
- Derby 4th of July Parade! Help us make the float or just come walk with us, it's always a blast, email Kendall Lambert at KLambert@mwavt.org if you are interested in volunteering to make the float or walk with us.
Event information will be updated as available